Director of Racial Justice Programs
The Stono Institute for Freedom, Justice and Security (SIFJS) offers opportunities, challenges, mentorship and a mission you won’t find anywhere else. If you’re passionate about racial justice, race conscious, motivated, humble and seek to be part of an organization aimed at protecting Black life and liberty, apply!
The SIFJS is the first human rights institution and think tank founded by African-Americans aimed at combating existential threats—domestic and international—to Black life and liberty including but not limited to systematic and structural racial discrimination, violent white extremist vigilantism and deadly police violence and its antecedents. Our core focus areas include Black youth, education, empowerment and advocacy. The SIFJS’ core belief is that every living being is divinely made and invaluable. We believe in the United Nations Charter’s reaffirmation in the “faith in fundamental human rights, in the dignity and worth of the human person, in the equal rights of men and women” and in the promotion of “social progress and better standards of life in larger freedom.”
The Director of Racial Justice Programs will:
- Manage the daily operation and expansion of SIFJS programs, initiatives and campaigns.
- Create functional strategies and objectives for SIFJS campaigns and initiatives.
- Fashion strategies to increase community awareness of racial justice issues.
- Facilitate community-wide discussions and activities on racial justice topics related to police brutality, systemic racism and violent white extremist vigilantism.
- Participates in the development of, among others, the Black Citizenship Initiative and Human Rights Advocacy Education Project.
- Develop and monitor the budgets/policies and procedures to support the programmatic infrastructure.
- Identify priorities, gaps, and trends in program resourcing areas and make recommendations accordingly.
- Provide leadership and innovative ideas to the programmatic efforts of SIFJS, including campaign support, policy advocacy, capacity building, grantmaking, and movement building.
- Foster relationships with key stakeholders and manage volunteers.
- Help with media activities and events that raise awareness of our campaigns through mainstream and social justice press.
- Represent SIFJS at meetings, conferences and public hearings to gain and share information relevant to the program’s operation.
- Ensure accurate and timely internal/external reporting and statistical information for advocacy programs.
- Be accessible on evenings and weekends as needed
- Perform other related duties as needed
- The Ideal Candidate should have:
- Bachelor’s degree or related 2-3 years of experience preferred and or a graduate degree in a related field
- Familiarity with the SIFJS programs, campaigns and initiatives
- Intermediate comprehension of human rights and racial justice issues
- Understand and embrace African-American history, cultural and social mores.
- A minimum of 5 years of program management experience
- A minimum of 3 years of policy experience
- Strong organizational, multi-tasking, and prioritizing skills, experience in community organization a plus
- A deep knowledge of program management principles, strategic thinking and strong leadership qualities
- A strong organizing, advocacy or social justice background, particularly with Black youth
- The ability to write in descriptive, analytical, and persuasive registers
- An eagerness to participate in generative brainstorming sessions
- A consistent, critical engagement with the broader media landscape
- The ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in a dynamic environment
- Bilingual (English/Spanish or French) preferred but not necessary
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office and Google Suite
Salary will commensurate with experience falling within the range of $38,000-$53,000. Interested candidates should apply by emailing a resume, cover letter, and legal or social sciences writing sample.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $38,000.00 – $53,000.00 per year
Schedule: 8 hour shift
Experience: Program management: 5 years (Preferred)
Policy: 3 years (Preferred)
Work Location: One location
This Company Describes Its Culture as:
- Detail-oriented — quality and precision-focused
- Outcome-oriented — results-focused with strong performance culture
- Team-oriented — cooperative and collaborative
- Only full-time employees eligible
- Work Remotely: Temporarily due to COVID-19
SIFJS is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religious creed, ancestry, national origin, age, sex, sexual orientation or handicap.